Friday, July 16, 2010

Ruth, A Classic Beauty


My Dad and I were watching the 2001 movie, Pearl Harbor, on television the other night when I noticed a striking resemblance between the lead actress, Kate Beckinsale, and Ruth as a young woman. The style of the film and the time in which it is set reminded me of the great WWII era photos of my grandparents. The next day I asked my mom if she would pull out her old photographs of Grandma and Grandpa, and we had a lot of fun looking through them. Ruth was a beautiful young woman who perfectly epitomized that classic 40s style.

Ruth graduated from Utah State in 1945 and began working as a physical therapist at Bushnell General Hospital in Brigham City. She was one of the first physical therapists in the state of Utah! I love this picture of her in her uniform; again, I thought of Grandma when I saw images of Kate Beckinsale as a nurse in the film. At the hospital, Ruth met Ferral Ogilvie, who then introduced her to his cousin, Ed Ogilvie. On their first fateful meeting, she recalls riding in Ferral's rumble seat with Ed. From the look of these photos, it's not hard to imagine that Ed must surely have been attracted to Ruth from that very first meeting in the rumble seat!
Photos: Kate Beckinsale at left, Ruth Ogilvie at right


No comments:

Post a Comment